Chewy Chocolate Chip Granola Bars– The best homemade granola bars! Chewy, yummy and good for you!
After months of searching I finally found and perfected the best homemade granola bars! I’ve tried so many granola bar recipes. Some were pretty good but lacked in flavor or were too crunchy. Some were really not so great and I didn’t even want to eat it. Then I came across this recipe on Buns in my Oven. I loved it the first time I made it but made it a few more times to tweak some things about it. It was a little too sweet the first time so I added less sugar.
One thing I love about this recipe is how simple the ingredients are. I bet you have all these ingredients already! Oats, whole wheat flour, wheat germ, cinnamon, a little salt, brown sugar and chocolate chips. You could even switch up the chocolate chips and add in peanut butter chips, nuts, dried fruit or any mixture of those! However you would like. After playing around with the amount I decided 1/3 was the perfect amount of chocolate chips to add. A little chocolately sweetness added but not too much. I also added 1 Tbsp. of ground flax seed. That is optional.
The wet ingredients are simple as well. An egg white, honey, canola oil and vanilla. Mix that all together, add it to the dry ingredients, bake it and then you have a yummy batch of homemade granola bars! Much better than store-bought if you ask me!
I’m seriously so excited to have this recipe now! These taste so good. Like a chocolate chip cookie but healthier for you! I have loved having these to grab when I need a quick snack.
One Year Ago: Red, White and Blue Kale Salad
Two Years Ago: Fudgy Chocolate Flax Banana Muffins
Three Years Ago: Stove Top Mac n’ Cheese
Four Years Ago: Sloppy Joes
- 1 cups old-fashioned oats
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, dried fruits, nuts (or a mixture)
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- ¼ cup wheat germ
- optional: 1 Tbsp. flax seed
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 egg white (from a large egg)
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8 x 8 baking pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a small bowl, mix together the wet ingredients. Pour the wet mixture into the dry and mix well. Pat the mixture out into the foil lined pan.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes. Bake for 20 for more chewy and 25 for crispier granola bars. Remove from the oven and let cool for a couple of minutes. Cut into slices. Finish cooling completely before removing from the pan.
Adapted from Buns in my Oven