Today I am excited to share this fabulous recipe with you for Banana Bread Snack Cake. I love eating bananas but once they turn brown I am never quite sure what to do with them. I like banana bread but still haven’t settled on a favorite recipe. (Does anyone have a favorite recipe they’d like to share with me?) I love this recipe because it uses 3 bananas and is quite a healthy recipe! All too often banana bread recipes are packed with sugar and oils but not this one.
This recipe is awesome! I found it from How Sweet It Is. I love that this recipe is full of healthy ingredients! Instead of all-purpose flour it uses whole wheat pastry flour. I love this flour because it is light and works great in baking. Don’t use whole wheat flour though. If you don’t have whole what pastry flour you can just use all-purpose flour. And sometimes I like to add a little flax seed or wheat germ. (About 1 tablespoon.)
It’s also delicious to top this with a cream cheese glaze! If you use my recipe for that I would half it.
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup loosely packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed (about 1½ cups)
- 1 cup *whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8×8 baking pan with non-stick spray
- In a large bowl, whisk egg and brown sugar until smooth. Add in vanilla extract and mashed bananas, mixing until combined. Add in flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt, mixing until the batter comes together. Add in melted butter and mix until evenly distributed.
- Pour batter in the baking pan. Bake for 20 minutes, or until center is no longer jiggly and edges are golden. Top with a cream cheese glaze if desired.
*You can use all-purpose flour, but I don’t recommend using regular whole wheat.