One of my favorite cookies when I was younger was No-Bake cookies. Mix a few ingredients together and in no time you have a tasty treat without using the oven! I haven’t made that recipe for a long time and recently checked it out. Can you believe it has 2 cups of sugar and a full stick of butter? That’s way more sugar than I use in regular cookies. So not good for you. So recently when I came across the recipe for these Healthy No-Bake Cookies I was so excited to try them!
It was really easy to put together, just mix a few ingredients together on the stove; honey, coconut oil, cocoa powder and a pinch of salt. Then mix in the peanut butter, remove from heat, add vanilla and oats. Let cool for 5 minutes then add coconut and optional flaxseed and raisins or chocolate chips. Scoop into cookies, chill, then enjoy! So easy and delicious!
I added 2 tablespoons of flaxseeds to up the nutrition and it was great! You couldn’t even tell! I added mini-chocolate chips which wasn’t smart because it just melted into the mixture. Next time I will add chocolate chips. The recipe says to add raisins but I don’t like raisins so I figure chocolate chips would be a better substitute for me.
I love that these cookies use honey instead of a crazy amount of sugar. And coconut oil instead of butter. I am loving using coconut oil lately. Did you know coconut oil contains high levels of lauric acid which is a saturated fat that raises levels of good (HDL) cholesterol? Pretty cool. Plus so many more benefits!
What are your favorite recipes using coconut oil?
This recipe is perfect for an after-school snack and fun to make with kids!
One Year Ago: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies
Two Years Ago: Zucchini Bread
Three Years Ago: Perfect Chocolate Cake
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt (or ¼ tsp. kosher)
- ½ cup crunchy or creamy peanut butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- ⅓ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- (optional) 1-2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- (optional) ¼ cup golden raisins, raisins or chocolate chips
- Combine the honey, coconut oil, cocoa powder and salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook stirring, until the coconut oil is melted and the mixture is smooth, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the peanut butter; stir until completely melted, 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract then the oats; cover and set aside 5 minutes. Uncover and stir in the coconut and if using, flaxseed and raisins or chocolate chips.
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Using a spoon, scoop desired size of cookies onto cookie sheet. Use the spoon to shape the cookie and flatten a little. Repeat with remaining dough. Refrigerate the cookies until cold, at least 30 minutes. Serve chilled.
Food Network Magazine September 2014