Healthier Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins- These banana muffins are soft, moist, and delicious! Healthier than most muffin recipes and low in sugar. The perfect snack!
Banana muffins are the best snack! This recipe for Healthier Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins is SO GOOD! I have been perfecting this recipe over the last few months and my kids have been loving it! These muffins are so light, moist, and flavorful. You are going to LOVE it!
If you are like me, when you have spotty bananas you wonder what to make with them. I am a huge fan of my Moist Banana Bread recipe but I also love trying new things. I loosely based this muffin recipe on my Healthy Carrot Muffin recipe. (If you haven’t tried those, you should!)
These Healthier Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are amazing because it’s mostly made with unrefined sugar, honey, and a small amount of brown sugar. You can use all wheat flour or half all-purpose. This recipe is flexible! I often make some without chocolate chips for my husband and daughter. Feel free to switch it up a little with your favorite mix-ins.
Ingredients Needed to Make Healthier Chocolate Chip Muffins:
Whole Wheat Flour- You can use all whole wheat flour or a mix of that and all-purpose flour. I usually make it with 1 cup whole wheat and 1/2 cup all-purpose flour.
Baking Soda- Helps the muffins rise
Cinnamon & Nutmeg- Adds great flavor! Plus they both are a great source of antioxidants.
Salt- Enhances the taste.
Butter- Adds a nice richness. You can use coconut oil instead if you prefer.
Honey- A delicious natural sweetener.
Brown Sugar- Just a little bit goes a long way! I like to use dark brown sugar but light works as well.
Greek Yogurt- Adds a little more protein to the muffins and makes them moist. You can use sour cream instead if desired.
Egg- Helps bind the ingredients, adds flavor, and protein. Room temperature is best.
Vanilla Extract- Adds the best taste and flavor!
3 Ripe Bananas- Make sure they are nice and ripe! It will add a delicious natural sweetness.
Chocolate Chips- I like to use semi-sweet but you can use whichever type you’d like.
Optional Mix-ins- Flaxseed, walnuts, etc
How to Make Healthier Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins:
- Mix together the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg.
- Make a well in the middle and mix in the wet ingredients: melted butter, honey, brown sugar, Greek yogurt, egg, vanilla extract, and mashed banana.
- Stir until mixed well but NOT over-mixed.
- Gently stir in the chocolate chips.
- Divide evenly in a sprayed muffin pan. (Or you can use cupcake liners.) I LOVE this muffin scooper. (I use the yellow one. affiliate link)
6. Bake at 350 for about 18 minutes. Let cool and enjoy!
This recipe makes 12 delicious banana muffins!
How to Store:
Keep in an airtight container at room temperature for 4 days or in the refrigerator for 1 week.
Tip: Add a paper towel to the bottom of the container to help the leftover muffins not get soggy.
How to Freeze:
Once completely cooled, place on a baking sheet and do a quick freeze by putting it in the freezer for 15 minutes. Then store in a freezer-safe bag or container in the freezer for up to 2-3 months.
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THESE HEALTHIER BANANA CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS:
- An easy one-bowl recipe
- Made with ingredients you very likely already have
- These are healthier but still sweet and tasty!
- You can omit the chocolate chips if you prefer and add your favorite mixins.
- Tastes delicious!
More Healthier Recipes You Will Love:
- Chocolate Protein Energy Bites
- Healthy Carrot Muffins
- Healthier Monster Cookies
- My Favorite Green Smoothie
- Healthy Sweet Potato Pancakes
- 1½ cups white whole wheat flour (or half whole wheat flour, half all-purpose flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted (or coconut oil)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cup banana, mashed (about 3)
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips + ¼ for the top
- Optional: 1-2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- Add-ins: walnuts, raisins...
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a large bowl.
3. Make a small well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the butter, honey, brown sugar, Greek yogurt, egg, vanilla, and mashed banana.
4. Stir ingredients together until just combined. (Don't over mix).
5. Fold in the chocolate chips, just until combined.
6. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin tin. Top with more chocolate chips.
7. Bake for 18-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.