Big Batch Muddy Buddies are perfect for sharing! These are great for parties, get-togethers, and more! This is also the best Muddy Buddy recipe you will ever have. Chex cereal is tossed in a tasty peanut butter/chocolate mixture then tossed with powdered sugar for the best treat!
Muddy Buddies (or Puppy Chow) is seriously one of the best treats ever! It’s been one of my favorite desserts for as long as I can remember. It’s the ultimate sweet snack! You’ll love my recipe for Big Batch Muddy Buddies. This recipe is so great because it uses an entire box of Chex mix! No need to measure. And no worries about sharing because there is plenty for everyone!
Muddy Buddies are so good because they are chocolatey, peanut buttery, crunchy, tasty, and oh so delicious! It’s easy to share and everyone loves it!
Muddy Buddy Ingredients:
The ingredients are simple but together they create magic!
Rice Chex Cereal- This cereal is definitely the best type of cereal to use for Muddy Buddies. It’s crunchy and the flavor doesn’t overpower the Muddy Buddies.
Semisweet Chocolate Chips- Semisweet is just the best! Not too sweet, not too bitter.
Butter- I’ve made Muddy Buddies before without butter and no question, it’s WAY better with butter!
Salt- This recipe is plenty sweet so adding just a pinch of salt really helps contrast the sweetness.
Vanilla Extract- Vanilla makes everything better! It adds such a delicious taste.
Powdered Sugar- You can’t make Muddy Buddies without powdered sugar! It gives Muddy Buddies a snowy look and delicious sweet taste.
I’ve been making Muddy Buddies for many years and I can attest to you that the combination of each ingredient I include in this recipe is just perfect! I will say, if you are a major chocolate lover you may add up to 1/4 cup more chocolate chips. If you are a big peanut butter lover, instead you could add up to 1/4 cup more peanut butter. You can also vary the amount of powdered sugar that is added, depending on your preference. A lot of Muddy Buddy recipes I see are pure white from powdered sugar overload. I prefer a good mix of seeing some of the chocolate/peanut butter mixture and powdered sugar on my Muddy Buddies.
Tip- If you’d like the Muddy Buddies to have a more uniform powdered sugar look to them then shake it on a ziplock bag as per my instructions. If not, it’s totally fine to just mix it in by hand.
Storing Muddy Buddies:
You might not even need to read this because these tasty Muddy Buddies won’t last long!
But you can store Muddy Buddies in an airtight container…
-at room temperature for about 4 days. Longer is fine, it just won’t be quite as fresh on day 5.
-In the fridge for about 1 week.
-In the freezer for about 3 months.
I know a lot of people who love to freeze Muddy Buddies and eat it straight from the freezer! It just depends on the texture you prefer.
Don’t forget you can add whichever mix in’s you prefer to turn my Big Batch Muddy Buddy recipe into PARTY MUDDY BUDDIES!
Muddy Buddy Mix-In/Topping Ideas:
-M&Ms (any flavor or color)
-Crushed Oreos (leave some chunks)
-Peanut Butter Cups
Other Tasty Snacks You Will Love:
Christmas Muddy Buddies (Comes with the cutest gift tag!)
- 1 box (12 oz.) (about 11 cups) Rice Chex
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 6 tablespoons butter, cut into smaller pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
1. Line 2 baking sheets with wax paper and set aside. Pour cereal into a very large bowl; set aside.
2. In 1-1.5 quart microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter uncovered on high 1 minute; stir. Microwave 15-30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth. Stir in salt and vanilla. Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated.
3. Let cool for 5-10 minutes before adding the powdering sugar. This will help the powdered sugar to not dissolve as much and it will make the muddy buddies clumpier.
4. Add powdered sugar and gently stir into chocolate-covered cereal until evenly coated. If you prefer, you can shake it in a gallon ziplock bag, about 1/3 of the mixture at a time with about 1/3 of the powdered sugar. Spread cereal on the two baking sheets to cool. If desired, place baking sheets in the freezer for about 15 minutes to speed the cooling process.
5. Enjoy! Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to about 4 days. Or keep in the refrigerator for about a week. You can keep in the freezer for about 3 months.
-Optional add-in ideas: pretzels, mini peanut butter cups, peanut butter M&M's etc.
Here’s my Halloween Version!
These Halloween Muddy Buddies are so fun! The best muddy buddy recipe along with yogurt and chocolate pretzels, and Reese’s Pieces. Tasty and spooky!
How to Make These Halloween Big Batch Muddy Buddies:
- Make my Big Batch Muddy Buddy recipes as outlined in this recipe post.
- Add 1 cup each yogurt/white chocolate pretzels and chocolate pretzels.
- Optional: On some of the pretzels add candy eyes. The “glue” is a small handful of chocolate chips melted with coconut oil.
- Add the Big Batch Muddy Buddies to a large bowl, mix in the pretzels, and top with Reese’s Pieces, and if you have pretzels with candy eyes place them on top.
- Enjoy this fun Halloween treat!