Easy Swedish Meatballs is a quick dinner that is fast to put together for a delicious meal! From start to finish dinner is ready in only 15 minutes. An IKEA copycat recipe that tastes even better!
Easy Swedish Meatballs have been on repeat in our house the last few months! Not only have I been perfecting the recipe for you all, we just love it! What’s not to love about a QUICK and TASTY dinner?! This recipe is full of flavor and the perfect family meal.
I made this recently with my 9-year-old son and it was easy enough that he was able to do most of the steps on his own. He really enjoyed being able to learn how to cook with me and that made him enjoy the meal even more.
When you think of Swedish Meatballs does IKEA come to mind? IKEA is a bit of a drive from my house so we don’t go there often. We love their meatballs but I promise you this recipe is much better than their meatballs. The flavor is so good and I would say it’s better quality to make it at home because you can control which ingredients you use.
In my recipe testing, I found that adding Worcestershire sauce really ups the flavor! This recipe calls for adding 1 teaspoon but if you are a fan of Worcestershire sauce don’t be afraid to add another teaspoon or so.
HOW TO MAKE EASY SWEDISH MEATBALLS:
It’s so simple! All you need is a few ingredients. First, you melt butter then add flour. Next, you add the beef broth. Sometimes I just add water then use beef bouillon granules. Then add in the Worcestershire sauce. I wouldn’t skip adding that because it adds so much flavor! Stir in sour cream then salt and pepper to taste.
Now it’s time to add the meatballs. You can use freshly made homemade meatballs but my life is busy lately so I use frozen meatballs. I love the Kirkland ones from Costco. The best part is you just add them in the sauce and in about 10 minutes or so they are cooked through and meanwhile the sauce thickens!
TIP: If after 10 minutes the sauce isn’t as thick as you would like just keep cooking it and it will thicken up. And if you actually want a thinner sauce you could add in more beef broth.
Then you serve it over Egg Noodles or mashed potatoes! Top it with freshly chopped parsley or dried parsley.
I love this dried parsley from Litehouse I get from Costco. It is great quality and I don’t always have fresh parsley on hand.
SOME MORE GREAT MEATBALL RECIPES:
I know it’s a great recipe when ALL of my kids will eat this recipe! And enjoy it! And that is including my toddlers who aren’t easy to please. We served it with vegetables and fruit on the side and it makes for a perfect dinner!
- ¼ cup butter
- ⅓ cup flour
- 3¾ cups beef broth
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ¾ cup sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 26-30 meatballs (frozen or freshly made)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped (or dried parsley to sprinkle on top)
- 8 oz. egg noodles, cooked
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, whisking, until lightly brown, about 1-2 minutes. Gradually add in the beef broth. (I like to add about ⅓ at a time until it starts to thicken.) Add Worcestershire sauce. As you bring it to a simmer, whisk until thick, about 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the sour cream and salt and pepper to taste. Add the meatballs. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the gravy thickens, and the meatballs are cooked through about 10 minutes. (If you want a thicker sauce simmer for longer.) Stir it occasionally. Serve over egg noodles. (Or mashed potatoes.) Garnish with parsley if desired.
Adapted from Damn Delicious