The perfect quick and healthy recipe! This Easy Skillet Pesto Chicken and Vegetables is a fabulous meal with protein, fresh vegetables, and pesto! The pesto adds a pretty color and flavor to the dish, and leftovers taste great!
This Easy Pesto Chicken and Vegetable Skillet is such a great quick, and healthy dinner! The ingredients are simple, but together it makes for a delicious meal! It tastes great on its own or you can serve it with rice, noodles, salad, etc.
I used pesto I bought at Costco but if you’d rather make it, go for it. Pesto adds such a great flavor to this dish and is made with so many great ingredients, which usually includes; basil, pine nuts, garlic, olive oil, and parmesan.
Ingredients Needed for Easy Chicken Pesto and Vegetable Skillet:
- Garlic Powder
- Red Onion
- Bell Peppers
- Grape Tomatoes
- Lemon Juice
- Salt & Pepper
- Parmesan Cheese
How to Make Easy Chicken Pesto and Vegetable Skillet:
Cook the chicken: In a cast iron pan or skillet, heat olive oil and chicken, season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Once it’s cooked, remove it from the pan and set it aside.
Sautee the vegetables: First sautee the onion and zucchini since those take longer to cook, then add in the bell peppers and grape tomatoes until softened.
Add the pesto and seasonings: Stir the chicken back in. Mix in the pesto a touch of lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
Serve alone or with a side dish such as rice, quinoa, salad, etc.
Tips for Making Easy Chicken Pesto and Vegetable Skillet:
This recipe is flexible and it’s very forgiving so feel free to change up some things!
Vary the Vegetables- You could omit any of the vegetables I listed and add any you think would taste good. Some suggestions are summer squash, cabbage, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower etc.
Mix up the Meat- Instead of chicken you could use chicken sausage, chunks of steak, baked tofu, or whatever you think would be good.
How to Store: Keep leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days. I like to reheat my leftovers in our toaster oven.
You Might Also Like:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 ground black pepper
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 zucchini, sliced into bite-size pieces
- 2 bell peppers, diced (red, green, yellow, orange or a mix)
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, cut in half
- ½ cup pesto
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
1. Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet or cast iron. Add the chicken and season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
2. Cook for 5-7 minutes, until chicken is browned on all sides and cooked through. Remove from skillet.
3. Turn the heat down to medium. Add a little more olive oil if needed. Add the onion and zucchini and cook for about 2 minutes. Then add the bell peppers, and grape tomatoes. Cook, stirring frequently until the onions are soft and translucent and the peppers and zucchini are tender.
4. Add the chicken back in and stir. Mix in the pesto and lemon juice. Add more salt and pepper as desired. Top with grated parmesan cheese.