These Sugar Cookie Bars are the easiest and yummiest dessert! The sugar cookie bars are so chewy, soft, and flavorful and the vanilla buttercream frosting is creamy and delicious! The perfect dessert to share!
This is seriously one of the best desserts I’ve ever had. I would rate it one of the top 10 best desserts on my blog. These Soft Sugar Cookie Bars might sound simple but the flavor and texture will blow you away!
I love a good sugar cookie but I don’t love how long it takes to make sugar cookies. When my daughter requested sugar cookies the other day, I simply didn’t have hours to be in the kitchen. I thought how perfect it would be to make sugar cookie bars instead! She liked them so much she has now decided it will be what she has for her birthday “cake.” Win-win!
The sugar cookie bars come from one of my favorite recipes on my blog, Berries and Cream Bars. It is incredibly soft and tasty! And then the sugar cookie bars are topped with a creamy, perfect vanilla buttercream frosting that is so yummy! You can keep the frosting white or color it any color you would like! My daughter has requested rainbow frosting for her birthday sugar cookie bars! And then these delicious Soft Sugar Cookie Bars can be topped with any sprinkles you desire. I recently bought these sprinkles from Sprinkle Pop and I love it!
Why these Sugar Cookie Bars are so good:
- This recipe is quick and easy!
- It is better than sugar cookies because no chilling the dough, rolling it out, shaping it, baking it, waiting for it to cool, and then frosting it.
- The Sugar Cookie dough comes together quickly in one bowl and bakes for 14 minutes or less!
- The Vanilla Buttercream Frosting is also an easy 1 bowl recipe.
- You can use food coloring to make the Vanilla Buttercream Frosting any color you please!
- Top these bars with your favorite sprinkles. This is the perfect recipe for birthdays, parties, get-togethers, and more!
- The taste and texture of these Sugar Cookie Bars are INCREDIBLE! Every bar is soft, chewy, and SO flavorful!
How to Make Sugar Cookie Bars:
FOR THE DOUGH: Cream together the butter with sugar, and powdered sugar. Add butter, vanilla, and eggs. Then add baking powder and salt. Then finish it off by adding in the flour. Press into a 9×13 pan that has been greased. These sugar cookie bars don’t stick to the pan! Bake for 12-14 minutes and let cool.
FOR THE FROSTING: Beat the butter with the paddle attachment. This helps reduce air bubbles in the frosting. Then slowly add in the powdered sugar along with cream or milk, vanilla extract, a pinch of salt, and if using, food coloring.
ASSEMBLE: Spread the frosting in an even layer over the sugar cookie bars. Top with sprinkles. Cut and enjoy!
Use room temperature butter and eggs. This helps the mixture to mix more evenly together.
Do NOT overbake the sugar cookie bars. You want them to be soft and chewy! The edges will look lightly golden but the center will not. That is good! It will continue to cook as it cools down.
To make the frosting look good, I spread it evenly and then use this smaller spatula (the dark blue one) to create even lines. (Affil. link)
Top with sprinkles right after you are done spreading the frosting on, this will help it to stick better. You can also gently press it into the frosting.
For even clean lines when cutting the sugar cookie bars, put the pan in the freezer for about 5 minutes before cutting. You can also dip a knife in hot water, then dry off, and cut.
How to Store Sugar Cookie Bars:
Keep stored at room temperature in an airtight container.
To store a little longer, about 5 days, you can keep them in the fridge and bring them to room temperature before enjoying them.
You can also freeze these for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before serving.
You will love these Sugar Cookie Bars!
The Sugar Cookie Bars are sweet and with a buttery flavor and the creamy vanilla buttercream frosting takes it to another level! And who doesn’t love a dessert with SPRINKLES?!
More Amazing Desserts:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3-4 tablespoons heavy cream (or milk)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- optional: food coloring and/or sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the sugar, powdered sugar, and butter for about 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Mix in the vanilla and eggs. Beat until smooth. Scrape down the sides if needed. Add the baking powder and salt and mix until combined. Then slowly add in the flour, mix until just combined.
- Using a spatula or your hands, evenly spread the cookie dough into the prepared pan. Bake for 12-14 minutes, do not overbake.
- Cool completely.
- For the frosting: In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl using beaters, whip the butter for about 2 minutes, or until it's creamy and lightened in color. Slowly add in the powdered sugar. Add the vanilla extract and heavy cream or milk. Start with 3 tablespoons of cream/milk and add 1 more tablespoon if frosting seems too thick. Beat on medium-high for about 3-5 minutes, stopping to scrape the sides of the bowl once or twice. If using food coloring mix in. Beat on low speed for about 1 minute to help remove any air bubbles.
- Spread the frosting over the cooled sugar cookie bars evenly and top with sprinkles. Cut into 24 pieces.