An easy homemade lip balm recipe with free labels that say, “Choose the Right.”
Making homemade lip balm is so much fun! It’s a great group activity and makes for a nice homemade gift. Ever since I first started making it last year with my peppermint lip balm, I’ve been a big fan of it!
A little later in this post, I’ll list the best essential oils to use as there are many scents to choose from! So far using peppermint and lemon is my favorite.
This post includes FREE printable labels that say Choose the Right in four different colors. The main reason I decided to make homemade lip balm was for Activity Days, which is held twice a month at my church with girls ages 7-10. This is a great reminder to anyone though to Choose the Right as they apply lip balm! Once again, my amazing friend Emily created these for me. Check out her amazing Etsy shop here!
Choose the Right is an important saying I have learned since I was young to remind me to make the right choice when faced with a hard choice.
“May we choose the harder right, instead of the easier wrong.”
(President Thomas S. Monson.)
The saying Choose the Right is important for me to teach my kids because there are so many choices that come our way in life and I know if we continue to choose the right we will be happy.
How to Make Homemade Lip Balm:
Once you get the supplies you need it’s really quite easy and fun!
Pipette or Dropper (or even a baby medicine dropper works great)
The beeswax, shea butter, and coconut oil will moisturize your lips and leave them feeling soft and smooth!
The essential oil adds a nice scent to the lip balm. You can decide how many drops you would like to add. (afli. links but products I use and love!)
Simply melt together the beeswax and coconut oil then the shea butter. Remove from heat and add in the desired amount of peppermint or lemon essential oil. (Or another essential oil.) Then carefully fill the lip balm tubes. Let cool, add labels and you’re done!
Let’s talk about essential oils!
From my research, below are different scents of essential oil you can choose from.
Essential Oils Safe for Lip Balm:
Also, if you want to explore other options like carrier oils, adding herbs, colorants, and much more information check out this informative post from The Nerdy Farm Wife.
- 2 Tablespoons Beeswax Pellets
- 2 Tablespoons Organic Coconut Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Organic Shea Butter
- *10-15 drops peppermint or lemon essential oil (depends how strong you want it to be)
- In a double boiler over medium heat, melt together the beeswax pellets and coconut oil, stirring until smooth. Add the shea butter and stir until melted and smooth. Remove from the stove top but keep the boiler over the hot water to keep the mixture liquid.
- Add in the drops of essential oil and stir.
- Use a dropper to fill the empty chapstick containers. Let cool for an hour or until completely set before putting the cap back on.
- Add the labels.
- Enjoy soft lips!
*Check out the post for other essential oil scents you can use.