One Pot Cheesy Smoked Sausage Pasta- A delicious quick and easy meal that is full of flavor! Leftovers taste amazing too!
For Father’s Day I had my kids fill out an “All About Dad” questionnaire and for his favorite food, my son put this Sausage Pasta. This is our #1 favorite dinner recipe and I make it at least once or twice a month! I’ve been making a similar recipe like today’s One Pot Cheesy Smoked Sausage Pasta but it was spicier so my little kids didn’t like it. Over the last few months I’ve been tweaking the recipe to make it work for my entire family and today I present to you our perfect recipe!
The ingredients are simple. You start out with smoked sausage, and finely diced onions and bell peppers. I dice it finely so my kids hardly notice it. After that has sauteed garlic is added.
Then the hardest part is behind you! Just add chicken broth, a can of diced tomatoes, cream or milk, pasta, and salt and pepper and then once the pasta is cooked through just stir in the cheese and dinner is ready!
This is seriously my kids #1 favorite recipe I make. They love it because it tastes so good and I love it for that reason but also because it’s so quick and easy for me to prepare and leftovers taste amazing!
This recipe is also a little flexible too so you can add a little more veggies or omit something you don’t like. Also, if you don’t mind a little spice, you can use a can of Rotel instead of diced tomatoes. It’s up to you! And not super fancy but sometimes I add cheddar cheese on top because my kids love it.
I hope you enjoy our family’s favorite dinner recipe!
You Might Also Like:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb. smoked sausage, sliced
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, finely diced (or ½ of 2 colors of bell peppers)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 10 oz. penne pasta
- ½ teaspoon salt and pepper, each
- 1½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese or Monterey Jack
- Optional: ⅓ cup thinly sliced green onions
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage, onions, and bell peppers and cook until lightly browned about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in chicken broth, diced tomatoes, cream, pasta, salt and pepper and stir. Bring to a boil, cover skillet, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until pasta is tender and al-dente, about 11-13 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in 1 cup cheese. Top with remaining cheese and sprinkle with scallions, if desired. Cover until cheese has melted, about 1-2 minutes.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!