Classic Muddy Buddies gets an extra dose of chocolate love! Chocolate Lovers Muddy Buddies is a dream for chocolate lovers!
Muddy Buddies are one of my favorite snacks! Chex cereal covered in a decadent bath of melted chocolate and peanut butter tossed in powdered sugar. What’s not to love!? I have a few fun variations of Muddy Buddies on my blog like Peanut Butter Lovers Muddy Buddies, Easter Muddy Buddies, and Christmas Muddy Buddies. But since I am a major chocolate lover, I decided to make this fantastic version of Chocolate Lovers Muddy Buddies. It turned out perfect and so TASTY!
To make this extra chocolatey, I made sure it had an amazing coating of the chocolate chips and peanut butter mixture. I based it off of the classic Muddy Buddy recipe. I added more chocolate chips since this is a chocolate lovers recipe for Muddy Buddies! I added a little more peanut butter to make the chocolate/peanut butter mixture have a thicker coating on the Chex cereal. Then added a little cocoa powder to the powdered sugar tossing to give it an extra chocolate kick.
I added chocolate sprinkles, and M&M’s. And you can feel free to add your favorite chocolate candy! Next time I am going to add some chocolate chips. And you could even use Chocolate Chex if you want! It’s a lot of chocolate but really can you ever have too much chocolate? I think not! Plus it wasn’t overwhelming, it was the perfect amount of chocolate love for these Muddy Buddies.
We all know the best part of Muddy Buddies is the clumps!
With this recipe, you’ll get plenty of those coveted pieces!
It’s such a pretty and tasty treat! Feel free to add whatever type of M&M’s you want. Dark chocolate M&Ms are my favorite but since it’s February I went with Valentine M&M’s which gave it a beautiful pop of color.
- 9 cups Rice Chex or Chocolate Chex
- 1 1/2 cup semisweet or dark chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter (4 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup M&M's
- optional add-ins: chocolate sprinkles, mini chocolate chips, chocolate chips, your favorite chocolate candy...
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper and set aside. Measure cereal into a large bowl; set aside.
- In a 1-quart microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter uncovered on High 30 seconds; stir. Microwave 15 seconds, stir, and another 1-2 times of 15 seconds or until mixture can be stirred smooth. Stir in vanilla. Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated. Pour into a 2-gallon resealable food-storage plastic bag.
- Add powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Seal bag; shake until well coated. Spread on waxed paper to cool.
- (Alternately, you could gently mix together the chocolate covered Chex mixture in the large bowl with the powdered sugar and cocoa powder using a large spoon.)
- Sprinkle the M&M's and any additional add-ins if desired, throughout the mixture.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.