Classic Muddy Buddies gets an extra dose of chocolate love! Chocolate Lovers Muddy Buddies is a dream for chocolate lovers!
Muddy Buddies are one of my favorite snacks! Chex cereal covered in a decadent bath of melted chocolate and peanut butter tossed in powdered sugar. What’s not to love!? I have a few fun variations of Muddy Buddies on my blog like Peanut Butter Lovers Muddy Buddies, Easter Muddy Buddies, and Christmas Muddy Buddies. But since I am a major chocolate lover, I decided to make this fantastic version of Chocolate Lovers Muddy Buddies. It turned out perfect and so TASTY!
To make this extra chocolately, I made sure it had an amazing coating of the chocolate chips and peanut butter mixture. I based it off of the classic Muddy Buddy recipe. I cut out the butter to add more peanut butter, added more chocolate chips, then added a little cocoa powder to the powdered sugar tossing to give it an extra chocolate kick. Then I added chocolate sprinkles, and M&M’s. And you can feel free to add your favorite chocolate candy! Next time I am going to add some chocolate chips. And you could even use Chocolate Chex if you want! It’s a lot of chocolate but really can you ever have too much chocolate? I think not! Plus it wasn’t overwhelming, it was the perfect amount of chocolate love for these Muddy Buddies.
We all know the best part of Muddy Buddies are the clumps! With this recipe, you’ll get plenty of those coveted pieces!
It’s such a pretty and tasty treat! Feel free to add whatever type of M&M’s you want. Dark chocolate M&M’s are my favorite but since it’s February I went with Valentine M&M’s which gave it a beautiful pop of color.
- 9 cups Rice Chex or Chocolate Chex
- 1 1/2 cup semisweet or dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup M&M's
- optional add-ins: chocolate sprinkles, mini chocolate chips, chocolate chips, your favorite chocolate candy...
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper and set aside. Measure cereal into a large bowl; set aside.
- In a 1-quart microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter uncovered on High 1 minute; stir. Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth. Stir in vanilla. Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated. Pour into a 2-gallon resealable food-storage plastic bag.
- Add powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Seal bag; shake until well coated. Spread on waxed paper to cool.
- (Alternately, you could gently mix together the chocolate covered Chex mixture in the large bowl with the powdered sugar and cocoa powder using a large spoon.)
- Sprinkle the M&M's and any additional add-ins if desired, throughout the mixture.
- Store in airtight container in the refrigerator.