A delicious and festive cookie that will melt in your mouth! These buttery and powdered sugar covered Snowball Cookies look like mini snowballs! The perfect Christmas cookie and fun for little ones to help make and enjoy.
Snowball Cookies are pretty much the cutest and easiest Christmas treats! Also known by other names like Mexican Wedding Cookies or Russian Teacakes. We all prefer to call these Snowball Cookies. My boys absolutely love the snow! Almost nothing else can make them so excited as to waking up to see snow on the ground. They loved that these cookies look like mini snowballs and thought I was pretty cool! It would be perfect to make these with your kids to leave for Santa.
Some people like to add chopped nuts to these cookies but we all prefer it without nuts in this house so I didn’t add them. This is basically a shortbread cookie. It’s made with very few ingredients, just butter, powdered sugar, flour and a little cornstarch and vanilla. It’s crazy easy!
The mixture comes together quickly then you shape them into little balls. You can chill the dough if the cookies flatten out more than you would like when baking but as long as my butter isn’t too soft when I mix together the dough I haven’t needed to chill these. Just remember not to put more cookie dough balls on to bake on a warm baking sheet. Sometimes I just stick my baking sheet in the freezer for a few minutes to get it cool.
About 5 minutes out of the oven you coat the cookies in powdered sugar then once the cookies are cooler, about 10-15 minutes later you coat these in powdered sugar again and you get such a pretty powdered sugar covering of “snow” on your cookies! Hence Snowball Cookies!
These cookies are so addicting! Once you bite into it the cookie will melt in your mouth and you won’t be able to just eat one!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- powdered sugar for coating
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the butter, powdered sugar, cornstarch and salt on medium-high speed until smooth and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Mix in the vanilla. Beat in flour, beginning on low speed and increasing to medium-high, until completely mixed in.
- Scoop dough out 1 tablespoon at a time and roll into a ball. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silpat.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes, until lightly browned on the bottom. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar to a bowl and coat the cookies in the powdered sugar then move to a cooling rack. Once cookies are cool, about 10-15 minutes later, coat again in powdered sugar. store in an airtight container.