Who knew you could add zucchini to cookies?! These Zucchini-Oat Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies are made with shredded zucchini, coconut, oatmeal and chocolate chips. Healthier than most cookies but so delicious and full of flavor!
It’s that time of year where zucchini is abundant and neighbors are begging you to take a few from their garden! I always love baking and cooking with zucchini but if you know me I love trying new recipes. I came across this recipe for Zucchini Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies from Two Peas and Their Pod and was intrigued! I had never thought to put zucchini in cookies before and was so curious on how it would turn out.
This recipe is so quick to make. You just mix up all the ingredients, scoop and bake! No chilling needed and it’s a one-bowl recipe. I was so excited to bite into these cookies! I love oatmeal cookies and so I was looking forward to this healthier version of one of my favorite types of cookies. These Zucchini-Oat Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies have a lot of healthy ingredients like oats, coconut oil, of course, zucchini and you can use dark chocolate chips if you want.
These cookies are everything you want in a good oatmeal cookie but even more! Soft and chewy but still with that slight crispiness you get from an oatmeal cookie. In addition, you get that great flavor coconut brings. And with this fun twist on the classic oatmeal cookie, you get to sneak in veggies and your kids might not even notice! And a little tip- if you peel off the outside of the zucchini and then shred it, it’s harder for kids who don’t like seeing any green in cookies to notice!
These cookies stay good for days and get a little softer each day which is a nice compared to how cookies usually get harder each day. I shared these cookies with family and it was a huge hit! They were gone in a flash and everyone thought it was so cool it had zucchini in it! These will be your new favorite oatmeal cookie!
You might also like:
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted and cooled to room temperature
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour or white whole wheat flour
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- ¾ cup semisweet or dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup sweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat and set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix together the coconut oil and sugars, mix until smooth. Add egg and vanilla extract. Add in the zucchini and mix until combined. Mix in the baking soda and salt then add the flour and stir until just combined. Stir in the oats, chocolate chips, and coconut flakes.
- Drop dough into balls, 2 tablespoons at a time, 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cookies are slightly golden around edges and set.
- Cool on baking sheets for about 5 minutes then transfer to a wire cooling rack and let cool. Enjoy!
Slightly adapted from Two Peas & Their Pod