I am SO excited to share this recipe with you! We LOVE this salad so much we seriously eat it every single week and have for the last few months. It’s so good and healthy too! We were eating it last week and my husband pointed out this salad is patriotic! It’s red, white and blue. Red craisins, white feta and blue blueberries! How fun is that and so perfect for the summer!
Not only is it a fun salad it’s good for you too! There are so many reasons why kale is so good for you. It’s a superfood! It is packed full of iron and vitamin C and is an antioxidant. We are big kale fans, check out my post on 30+ Kale recipes for some more delicious recipes plus more reasons why it’s so good for you. And let’s not forget the blueberries! Blueberries are a superfruit! Blueberries are full of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals and so much more! We love blueberries. My little 4 year old eats them almost everyday!
To make this salad first you massage the rinsed and sliced kale with a little salt. This softens it and makes it more tender and less rough. Then you mix together a simple dressing made of olive oil, red wine vinegar and a pinch of sugar. Next step is to add the toppings to the kale, sunflower seeds, craisins and blueberries. You can switch up the toppings to what you think you’d like best but this is our favorite. Then you toss the salad with the dressing, add the feta and serve! It’s super easy! I make a big batch once a week and it keeps well for a few days in the fridge. I actually like it even better the next day.
It’s the perfect salad for any occasion!
Enjoy! And I hope you all have a wonderful Memorial Day!
One Year Ago: Fudgy Chocolate Banana Flax Muffins
Two Years Ago: Stove Top Mac n’ Cheese
Three Years Ago: Sloppy Joes
- 1 bunch kale
- ¾ teaspoon coarse kosher salt or sea salt
- ½ cup craisins
- ¾ cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- ⅓ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ⅓ cup crumbled Feta cheese
- Wash the kale and pat it dry. Remove the fibrous kale stems. Stack the kale leaves two or three at a time, roll them up, and slice the leaves into thin ribbons.
- Place the kale ribbons in a large mixing bowl. Add the salt and massage it into the kale with your hands for 3-4 minutes. The kale will turn a darker green and the texture will begin to soften.
- Add in the craisins, blueberries, and sunflower seeds. In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar and sugar. Pour over the salad and toss. Sprinkle feta cheese over the top and serve.
- (To prepare in advance: store the prepared kale separately from the other ingredients, in the refrigerator. Then right before serving toss together.)
Adapted from Love to be in the Kitchen- Kale Salad with Craisins, Apple and Feta originally on Mel’s Kitchen Cafe
You might also like: