Is there anything better than a healthy quick dinner? I don’t think so! These Crispy Southwest Chicken Wraps are seriously one of the best things I’ve ever made for dinner! This recipe is so awesome. It comes together so quickly and is packed full of flavor! The ingredients are simple, cooked brown or white rice (I used some leftover brown rice and it was perfect!) spices, chicken, red/green pepper, beans, and cheese.
This recipe is now a family favorite! My boys loved it! (They are 4 & 2.) I love it when my boys like what I make for dinner. Especially when there are so many healthy ingredients involved!
Then add the rest of the ingredients and stir. One ingredient I thought made this extra good was fresh lime juice! Did you know that I always have fresh lime/lemon juice on hand? Check out my awesome trick!
To get it crispy, you can either use a skillet on the stove-top or bake it in the oven. I did both and liked it both ways. The second time I made this I doubled it so it was quicker just to bake them all up.
One Year Ago: Spinach and Artichoke Grilled Cheese
Two Years Ago: Black Bean Chili with Cilantro
Three Years Ago: Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup cooked rice, (brown or white) warm or at room temperature
- 1 cup cooked, shredded chicken (or shredded pork or beef etc.)
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 green onion, finely sliced
- ½ red or green pepper, diced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 cups shredded cheese (cheddar, pepper jack, Monterey jack etc.)
- Sour cream (optional)
- 6 burrito-sized flour tortillas
- In a large bowl, mix rice together with chili powder, cumin and garlic salt. Add remaining ingredients except for cheese and sour cream. Sprinkle cheese over tortillas, leaving ½-inch border around edges, then arrange chicken and rice mixture down the center of each tortilla. (Optional: Add a little sour cream in the wraps.) Roll stuffed tortillas, leaving edges open and slightly flatten the wraps with the palm of your hand. Spray seam-side of the wrap lightly with cooking spray.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet (or griddle) over medium heat for 1 minute. Arrange wraps, seam-side down, in pan or griddle and cook until golden brown and crisp, about 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and repeat with remaining wraps. Serve warm.
Adapted from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe