Despite the the fact it’s still HOT outside I am pretending it is fall around here! I’ve been making so many awesome pumpkin recipes lately. I can’t wait to share them all with you! I need to make things other than just pumpkin but I’ve been going a little pumpkin crazy lately!
I made this cake for my families last birthday party get-together. I am the youngest of 8 kids so we get together about every 2 months to celebrate all the birthdays. I usually am the one who brings cake so I decided to make this cake. I first made this cake a few years back when I made Pumpkin Spice Cake Balls. Those were the first cake balls I’ve ever made! I decided to top this cake off with my Easy Chocolate Buttercream frosting and some pretty fall sprinkles and it was so pretty! I also love pumpkin and chocolate together. They are a match made in heaven!
My family was pretty excited about it. After we sang happy birthday and those celebrating their birthday blew out the candles, I went to put away the candles and seriously by the time I came back the cake was practically all gone! haha I usually have to beg someone to eat the last piece so it was awesome. They all LOVED it and were sad there wasn’t more!
This cake is SUPER easy to make! Just add a cake mix, pumpkin puree, spices, oil, water and eggs then mix and bake! I prefer to bake from scratch but my husband bought a whole bunch of cake mixes on sale and wanted me to use those. So I did. I don’t usually like how cake mixes taste but with a few additions to it this cake was so good you wouldn’t even know it wasn’t completely from scratch!
Once the cake is baked, let it cool.
Then top with my Easy Buttercream Frosting, any sprinkles you want, and enjoy!
One Year Ago: Baby Food 101
Two Years Ago: No-Bake Energy Bites
Pumpkin Spice Cake with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
Pumpkin Spice Cake
- 1 box French Vanilla cake mix (or yellow or plain vanilla)
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
Easy Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-4 Tbsp. milk or cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or spray a 9x13 baking dish.
- Beat everything together for about 2 minutes. Bake according to time on package directions. (Typically about 28-33 minutes.) Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a standing mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the butter at medium-high speed until smooth, about 20 seconds. Add the cocoa powder and beat mixture until combined.
- Add powdered sugar and salt; beat at medium-low speed until most of the sugar is moistened. Scrape down the bowl and beat at medium speed until mixture is fully incorporated, about 30 seconds; scrape bowl, add vanilla and milk or cream, and beat at medium speed until incorporated, about 1 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Frost cake and top with sprinkles.
*Cake recipe from Bake at 350.
Ooooh this looks good! I love adding pumpkin to cakes, muffins, pancakes… anything! I’ll definitely try this.
Thanks Kami! Pumpkin is awesome!
Magnificent goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you are just extremely wonderful. I actually like what you’ve acquired here, really like what you are saying and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it sensible. I cant wait to read much more from you. This is actually a great web site.
yum!!! I tweeted this, I hope you do not mind!
I appreciate it! Thanks!
Thanks so much for linking up this printable recipe to Tips and Tricks. We love anything pumpkin!