Double Dark Chocolate Brownies- The best homemade brownies! Fudgy brownies topped with a tasty chocolate glaze. These are beautiful and even more delicious!
Who loves dark chocolate? I’ve got my hand raised high in the sky! I LOVE dark chocolate! If you are a fan too you will love my recipes for Dark Double Chocolate Cookies and Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies. If you don’t love dark chocolate then don’t shy away from these recipes. You can always replace dark chocolate chips with semi-sweet and dark cocoa powder with Dutch cocoa powder. This recipe was inspired by one of Derek’s birthday presents. He got a Lindt Extra Dark Chocolate Bar 85% Cocoa. That’s really dark! We both love dark chocolate but it was a little bittersweet for us so I decided it’d be fun to make dark chocolate brownies and melt the dark chocolate bar as a chocolate layer on top. It turned out prettier and tastier than I had imagined!
Isn’t this beautiful!? I used a basic cocoa powder based brownie recipe and swapped the cocoa powder for the luscious Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa Powder. It made the batter look black. It was gorgeous! The recipe called for me to use an 8×8 baking dish but I was also making dinner at the same time and was using that dish for our dinner. Bad timing! But it worked out so nice because instead I used an 11×7 pan and I thought it was perfect because the brownies came out smaller than your average brownie. I melted the dark chocolate bar with a touch of butter and spread that over the top. And fyi I added a pinch of powdered sugar to help cut the bitterness. It was perfect! The texture of these brownies is so good! A little crunchy on the edges and soft and chewy in the middle. Plus let’s not forget the delicious chocolate glaze on top. These are seriously amazing brownies! I am so proud of this recipe! I hope you enjoy!
Double Dark Chocolate Brownies
- 10 tablespoons butter
- 1¼ cups sugar
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa Powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, cold
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 oz. dark chocolate, chopped, or dark chocolate chips (this is about ⅔ cup)
- 1 tbsp. butter
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line the bottom and sides of an 11x7-inch (or 8x8) baking pan with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on two opposite sides. Lightly grease with cooking spray and set aside.
- Cut butter into chunks. Combine the butter, sugar, cocoa, and salt in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for one minute intervals, stirring in between until the butter is melted and the mixture is smooth. Set the mixture aside until it cools slightly, it should be warm but not hot.
- Stir in the vanilla with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula. Add the eggs one at a time stirring vigorously after each addition. When the batter looks thick, shiny, and well blended, fold in the flour just until incorporated and no streaks remain. Spread the batter into the prepared pan and bake 20-25 minutes, until just set. Let cool slightly then refrigerate until cool to the touch.
- To prepare the chocolate glaze, in a small microwave-safe bowl, combine the chopped dark chocolate and butter. Microwave for 30 seconds and stir and continue to microwave 15 seconds at a time, stirring in between until smooth. Remove brownies from the fridge and evenly spread the glaze on top. (I used the back of a spoon.) Either cool the chocolate glaze by putting the brownies back in the fridge or leave it on the countertop. Once chocolate is set, cut the brownies into small squares.
*Brownie recipe adapted from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe, Chocolate Glaze by me