Olympic Ring Sugar Cookies- The perfect treat to enjoy while celebrating the Olympics! A soft and delicious sugar cookie topped with heavenly buttercream frosting and M&M’s representing the Olympic rings.
**You’ll also love this post! 25 Olympic Recipes, Crafts, and Activities**
I’m so excited the Olympics are about to start! I love watching the Olympics, both Summer, and Winter. We always anticipate the arrival of another Olympics. It’s so fun to gather around the TV with my family and watch the amazing athletes compete. It’s always great to have Olympic themed treats too so that’s why I created these fun and simple Olympic Sugar Cookies.
To celebrate I made these fun sugar cookies! I made them using my favorite sugar cookie recipe, buttercream frosting and M&M’s. I wasn’t sure how to go about doing the black ring but I decided to just go with the brown m&m because it’s pretty dark and I thought it turned out great! You could also do the same idea here using cupcakes.
These cookies are soft and so good it’s hard to eat just one! The buttercream frosting is so easy to make so don’t be intimidated by making it. And of course, it’s fun to have a treat to share while enjoying the Olympics. I can’t wait for them to begin!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. Place butter and sugar in large bowl of electric stand mixer and beat until light in color (2-3 minutes). Add egg, milk, and vanilla and beat to combine. Put mixer on low speed, gradually add flour, and beat until mixture pulls away from the side of the bowl. Roll to ¼ inch thickness between two sheets of parchment or wax paper. After rolling, chill the dough for at least 30 minutes to an hour.
- Once the dough is well chilled and hard to the touch, cut out shapes and place them on a silicone mat or parchment-lined baking sheet about 1 inch apart. Bake at 375 degrees F for 7-9 minutes, rotating cookie sheet halfway through baking time. Do not over bake. The cookies will look a little underdone but that is ok. It will set up as it cools and results in a soft and chewy cookie. Let sit on baking sheet for 2 minutes after removal from oven and then move to complete cooling on wire rack. Store in airtight container for up to 1 week.
For Frosting and Assembly:
- Mix the powdered sugar, butter and milk together until smooth. Add the extract and mix for another minute or two. (The longer you mix the whiter and fluffier it gets.)
- Once cookies have cooled, frost each with the buttercream. Spread evenly then place on the M&M's to represent the Olympic rings. On top: blue, brown and red. On bottom: yellow and green. Enjoy!
Sugar Cookies very slightly adapted from Alton Brown (Food Network)