Happy 11-11-11! Today would have been a fun day to have my baby but I still have 2 1/2 weeks to go. I discovered this recipe quite a while ago in a book called I’m Pregnant! Now What Do I Eat? That’s a great book by the way whether you are pregnant or not it’s filled with simple healthy recipes.
These cookies are made with ground flax seed and walnuts so it’s rich in Omega-3 fatty acids and a good source of fiber. And even though walnuts are in the title of this cookie recipe I sometimes make these cookies without walnuts and it’s just as good. So it’s up to you to add walnuts or not.
And please don’t be turned off by these cookies because of the walnuts or flax seed. You don’t even notice the flax seeds! I promise. These cookies are just as good as any chocolate chip cookie I’ve had. I’ve shared these cookies with plenty of people and everyone has loved them. And I forgot to mention they have dark chocolate chips in them! I love dark chocolate and it’s good for you!
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2/3 cup ground flax seed
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, granulated sugar, and the brown sugar. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Set the bowl aside for a moment.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flax seed, flour, baking soda and salt. Add this mixture of dry ingredients to the bowl containing the butter mixture and combine thoroughly. Stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Shape the dough into 1 inch balls and place on an ungreased nonstick cookie sheet, arranging them about 2 inches apart. Or simply place heaped teaspoonfuls of the dough on the sheet. Bake until golden and cooked through, 7-9 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to cool and set for 5 minutes. Then with a spatula, transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.