This is seriously the best french toast ever! I’ve made french toast many times in my life and it’s been good but something about this recipe just makes for the best french toast in the world! The strawberry sauce is so simple to make and goes so well with this french toast. And honestly this french toast would still be the most amazing in the world with out the strawberry sauce.
I enjoyed this breakfast very much although it was actually breakfast for dinner. Derek loves breakfast so once a week we have breakfast for dinner. Plus it’s usually cheaper to have breakfast foods vs. dinner. My kids love this too no matter what time of day we eat it. We could eat it everyday it’s that good!
- 4-6 slices dry bread (leave them out overnight or a couple of hours)
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg (optional)
- 2 cups strawberries (frozen or fresh)
- 1-2 Tbsp sugar (or more, depending on your taste)
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 3 Tbsp water
- Heat a skillet over medium to medium-high heat and spray with cooking spray or coat with a little butter. In a shallow bowl, beat eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg (if using) untill well combined. Coat both sides of a slice of bread quickly. Place on skillet and cook till bottom side is golden. Flip and cook till golden. Repeat with other slices of bread.
- Combine cornstarch with water. Set aside. In a medium saucepan, cook strawberries and sugar 2-3 minutes or till they start getting soft. Add cornstarch mixture and continue to stir, mashing berries with a fork or potato masher along the way. Cook until cornstarch thickens mixture. Remove from heat. Mash any remaining berries. Refrigerate until cold and serve over French toast.
- Makes enough for 4 generously topped pieces of French toast.
Recipe from OneLovely Life