These soft and chewy double chocolate cookies are filled with chocolate chips and topped with beautiful red, white and blue M&M’s. These are sure to be a hit!
I’m a little obsessed with cookies lately! I love almost all types of cookies but my chocolate chip cookies and these double chocolate cookies are no doubt my favorite and the best I’ve EVER had! These Patriotic Chocolate Cookies are perfect to make this summer because they are quick and easy to make, so beautiful and incredibly yummy! I used dark chocolate cocoa because I love the taste and color it gives the cookies but you can certainly use regular cocoa powder. I have before with this recipe and it’s so good too! These cookies are filled with delicious chocolate chips and topped with gorgeous M&M’s.
I found these red, white and blue M&M’s at Walmart. I’m pretty sure it’s available in the late spring/summer months. (I bought these early June.) Most party stores would have these colors too.
My favorite part about these cookies are when you bite into the cookie and see the beautiful, melty chocolate chips. It’s PURE heaven! I can’t even begin to describe to you just how good these cookies are! Soft, chewy, the perfect amount of chocolate and to take it up a notch a bit of a crunch and extra chocolate deliciousness from the M&M’s. YUM!
Take a look at that chocolate!! My kids were trying to be so patient waiting for me to take pictures of these cookies so they could eat some. Their patience paid off and they were so excited to try them! They of course LOVED them as much as I did and we took this to a family party after and it was a huge hit! Everyone loved the beautiful Patriotic colors and of course the amazing taste!
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg, preferably room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup + 2 Tbsp. Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa Powder (or regular cocoa powder)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 1 ¼ cups chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet)
- Red, White & Blue M&M’s for topping the cookies
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the butter and sugars. Beat together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Blend in the egg and vanilla, scrape down the bowl if needed.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients in the mixer on low speed just until incorporated. Mix in the milk on the lowest speed and fold in the chocolate chips. Preheat the oven to 350˚ F.
- Roll about 2 tablespoons of dough into balls and place on the baking sheets. The cookies don’t spread much so if you like them less thick, press down slightly. Top cookies with M&M’s. Place cookie sheet in freezer for 10-15 minutes. (Alternately you can chill the dough for at least 1 hour or up to 36.)
- Bake 10-11 minutes. Immediately top with more M&M’s if needed. Let cool on the baking sheets for about 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.