Orange Poppyseed Muffins- Moist, sweet and citrusy. The perfect muffin!
Muffins are a favorite of ours. So easy to make and the perfect snack or breakfast! I love that these muffins aren’t overly sweet. The orange glaze on top is the perfect touch to these muffins. I love the texture the poppyseeds bring. These muffins are so yummy.
I added a fun twist too! Instead of regular orange juice I used SunnyD. It’s the perfect drink to go along with breakfast and after school snacks too. SunnyD is a great drink to use in this recipe because it has a great orange tangy flavor and you can turn in the labels to get free books for your school!
I picked mine up at Walmart. They have so many different sizes and flavors to choose from! To help earn free books for classrooms just collect SunnyD labels and send to your child’s teacher. Teachers will then send the labels into SunnyD to get free books. For every 20 labels received, SunnyD will donate 20 free books. (expires on 11/30/15 or while supplies last) You can learn more about the SunnyD Book Spree program here.
This program is in it’s 9th year running and since it started they have donated over $8 million in books! It’s such an easy and great way to help bring more books into the classroom. K-7th grade classrooms are eligible and home educators are eligible as well.
Reading is so important to us. Levi, my oldest, is in 1st grade. Just in the last year the amount of improvement he has made in reading is exceptional. This is in large part thanks to the books at school. Everyday after school we read a few books together. He always needs a little snack and drink after school so it’s perfect he can have some SunnyD and we can use the labels to help earn free books for his school!
Follow these easy steps to get free books for the classroom:
- Step 1: Parents clip and collect eligible SunnyD UPC labels.
- Step 2: Parents send UPC labels with their child to a participating teacher.
- Step 3: Teachers collect UPCs, fill out the entry form and mail both to SunnyD.
- Step 4 – SunnyD sends books to participating classrooms (limit of 20 books/classroom). Don’t Delay – Book Spree ends 11/30/2015
These Orange Poppyseed Muffins are so quick to make! The batter comes together so fast and they don’t need too long to bake up. They came out looking so yummy!
I added the orange glaze on top and loved how pretty it looked! I love the tangy citrus and sweetness it brought to the muffins. It’s the perfect touch!
- 1 and ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- optional: 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup SunnyD original (or orange juice)
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon SunnyD original (or orange juice)
- small pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a muffin tin or line it with cupcake liners. In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and orange zest (if using). Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs. Stir in the sugar, poppyseeds, oil, SunnyD (or orange juice) and milk and stir until blended. Add mixture to the dry ingredients and stir just until moistened.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each cup about ¾ full. Bake in preheated oven for 13-16 minutes, until the tops are golden brown and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Mix together the 1 tablespoon of SunnyD or orange juice with the powdered sugar and a tiny pinch of salt until combined. Add a little more powdered sugar if you'd like it thicker. Drizzle on top of muffins.
- Keep muffins in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Slightly adapted from Devour Blog