I know it has been a while since I’ve posted a dinner recipe on my blog so I’m excited to be sharing one of our new favorite dinner recipes with you guys today! This Cheesy, Chicken, Bacon, Broccoli and Rice is a recipe I found from Kevin and Amanda and has been one of our favorite recipes! I’ve made it quite a few times and finally got around to taking pictures so I could share it with you all! Kevin and Amanda describe this dish as Easy, Cheesy, Spicy and Creamy. Sounds pretty amazing right!? I love how simple it was to make this dish.
This dinner is pretty awesome. It’s all gooey and cheesy from a simple cheese sauce you add at the end of the recipe and it has the crunchy bacon, slightly crunch broccoli (depending on how you liked it cooked, you can adjust how long you cook it) as well as the tender bites of chicken and spicy tomatoes! It’s pretty awesome! Plus my husband who isn’t really a rice fan loves this dinner too!
One Year Ago: Roasted Broccoli with Parmesan
Two Years Ago: Garlic Texas Toast (and How to Freeze it)
Three Years Ago: Pinch Me Not Cupcakes (for St. Patrick’s Day)
Four Years Ago: Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins with Lemon Glaze
- 8 slices bacon, diced
- 12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced in bite-sized pieces
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 12 oz (about 4 cups) broccoli florets, roughly chopped into small, bite-sized pieces
- 2-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (10-oz) cans Ro-Tel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chiles
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup extra sharp shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt and pepper, each
- Add the diced bacon to a very large skillet or Dutch oven and turn heat to medium high. Cook the bacon until crisp, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Season the diced chicken generously on both sides with salt and pepper. When the bacon is crisp, use a slotted spoon to remove to a plate. Remove the bacon grease. Add butter and olive oil to the skillet. Add the chicken in a single layer and cook for five minutes, flipping once halfway through. Remove the chicken to the plate with the bacon.
- Add the rice, water, and salt to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 14 minutes. When done, remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, add the onion and broccoli to the skillet where you cooked the bacon and chicken. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until broccoli is tender and onions are brown and caramelized, about 8-10 minutes. Add in minced garlic and cook, stirring constantly until just fragrant, about 30 seconds. Top with tomatoes, rice, chicken and bacon and stir to combine. Reduce heat to low to keep warm.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan and whisk in the flour until just combined. Add in the chicken broth and stir well. Increase heat to high and cook until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat and add in cheese and salt and pepper. Stir until cheese is melted, then pour in the skillet with the chicken and rice. Stir to combine and serve.
Slightly adapted from Kevin and Amanda