I’m so excited to have my friend Natalie guest post today! Natalie and I have been friends for years and she just recently started a blog called Pistachio Road. I am so excited we are blogging friends too now! Her blog is amazing and you should check it out! She shares recipes, crafts, fashion and more! Keep in touch with her latest posts by following her on Facebook, Pinterest or Instagram.
Hi, I’m Natalie from Pistachio Road. I am a Kansas girl at heart, but am currently living in Ohio with my husband and two kids (ages three and one). I studied public relations in college and worked in marketing for a few years before I had my kids. I love cooking, crafts, sewing and decoratin our first home. Come visit my blog sometime!
Becky and I met in college when we lived in the same apartment complex. I remember meeting her soon after she and Derek got married. She was so cute, friendly and just excited to be married! Every Sunday, Derek would match his tie to whatever color Becky was wearing to church. It was sweet to see them matching (and I was pretty impressed with the variety of color in Derek’s tie collection, haha). It’s been fun to talk with Becky more now that we are both bloggers and she’s been a great resource for me. I’m excited to share this recipe with you guys here on her blog!
These brown sugar muffins are my absolute favorite type of muffin. My mom has been making these for years. They are always a huge hit at baby showers and would be a great afternoon snack. I haven’t frozen them (since we always eat them all up!), but they would probably freeze just fine.
Since we moved last year, I was having trouble with these muffins rising right in my new oven. Becky pointed me toward a tip from Sally’s Baking Addiction and it worked great. Fill the muffin cups all the way to the top. You’ll bake these muffins at 425 degrees for 5 minutes, and then drop the temperature down to 375 degrees for the last 10-12 minutes. This results in a taller, crunchy top (yum!), but you still get a soft center.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 cubes), softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Stir together flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl and set aside. In a separate bowl, cream butter and brown sugar with a mixer until blended. Add in egg and vanilla and mix on low until blended.
- Add butter/sugar mixture to the dry ingredients, along with milk. GENTLY stir until all the flour is mixed in using a spoon or spatula (not a mixer). Be careful not to overmix as this can cause muffins not to rise. Batter will be lumpy.
- Spoon batter into muffin pan and fill each one to the top of the liner. This will make about 16 muffins.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 5 minutes. Then drop the temperature to 375 degrees and bake for an additional 10-12 minutes until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean.
- Let muffins cool in pan for 5 minutes. Then remove each one and let cool on a wire cooling rack. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days (but I doubt they will last that long!). Enjoy!