We love all things Italian especially the food! My husband had a work party where each person brought a dessert from their favorite country to share so I made this delicious Italian Lemon & Olive Oil Pound Cake for it. This recipe was so fun to make. I love mixing together ingredients and it felt so fancy making this but it was plenty simple at the same time.
This recipe has delicious ingredients in it. Obvious lemon which I love. It makes my hands smell so good! It also has olive oil (obviously again) and ricotta. Yum! Once it’s baked it’s topped with a beautiful and simple lemon glaze. I made sure I got to keep a piece to myself before he took it to work and man was it good! I love the lemon in it and the lemon glaze is perfect.
One Year Ago: Pepperoni Pizza Grilled Cheese
Two Years Ago: Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies (My favorite cookie!)
Three Years Ago: Weekend Brunch Casserole
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- Finely grated zest of 2 lemons
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons whole milk
- ¾ cup ricotta cheese (can substitute Greek yogurt)
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice, strained
- 3 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 325 F. Line the bottom of 8 ½ x 4 ½ inch loaf pan with parchment paper, butter the pan and the paper.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a bowl of an electric mixer, combine the egg yolks, granulated sugar, and lemon zest. Beat at medium speed until the mixture thickens, is pale yellow, and forms ribbons when the whisk is lifted, 3-4 minutes. Allow to sit.
- In a separate bowl, beat (or, whisk) the egg white to stiff peaks. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in another bowl, whisk together the extra virgin olive oil, milk, ricotta cheese, and lemon juice. Slowly drizzle in the oil mixture with the mixture in the electric mixer with the machine running. Reduce the speed to low, add the flour mixture, and mix just to combine. Add in the butter and mix just to combine.
- Remove the mixing bowl from the stand mixer and fold in the stiff egg whites.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake, rotating the pan once after 25 minutes, until the top of the cake is golden, the center bounces back when touched, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (about 45 minutes.)
- Carefully remove the cake from the loaf pan and let it cool completely on a wire rack.
- While still warm, prepare the glaze. Combine the lemon juice with powdered sugar until smooth. Add more lemon juice if needed for desired consistency. Pour over the pound cake and let it set. Enjoy!
Slightly adapted from The Brooklyn Ragazza
You might also like: