Homemade buttercream frosting is so easy to whip up. All you need is a few ingredients. This Dark Chocolate Buttercream Frosting has a beautiful dark color from the dark cocoa powder.
Dark Chocolate Buttercream Frosting is so pretty! I love the dark color it gives the frosting. I made these cupcakes for a family party and we were running late so I hurried to take this picture. The frosting was actually darker than it shows in these pictures. It is so delicious! And even for those who don’t like dark chocolate they loved this frosting. I think the reason a lot of people don’t like dark chocolate is because it is not very sweet. But since there is plenty of powdered sugar in this recipe there is no need to worry about it not being sweet enough. Everyone will love this frosting!
I love making homemade frosting. I will never buy store bought frosting. I can’t stand that stuff! Homemade is SO easy. If you have never made it before don’t be afraid of it. All you do is mix together butter with cocoa powder then add vanilla, a tiny pinch of salt and enough milk to get to your desired consistency. It whips up quickly and will add the special touch to your favorite cupcake recipe. (Or a box mix is totally fine!)
Once all the ingredients are mixed together I didn’t mix it much longer because the longer it whips the lighter the color gets and I loved the dark color the dark cocoa powder gave the frosting.
One Year Ago: Burrito Bowls with Lime Cilantro Rice
Two Years Ago: Buttermilk Syrup
Three Years Ago: Strawberry Cheesecake Cookies
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa Powder
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-4 Tbsp. heavy cream or milk
- In a standing mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the butter at medium-high speed until smooth, about 20 seconds. Add the cocoa powder and beat mixture until combined.
- Add powdered sugar and salt; beat at medium-low speed until most of the sugar is moistened. Scrape down the bowl and beat at medium speed until mixture is fully incorporated, about 30 seconds; scrape bowl, add vanilla and heavy cream or milk, and beat at medium speed until incorporated, about 20 seconds.
- Use to frost cupcakes or cakes. (24 cupcakes)