Beautiful dark chocolate cookies made with Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa Powder, packed full with chocolate chips and topped with colorful Dark Chocolate M&M’s. These Dark Chocolate M&M Cookies are my new favorite cookie!
Welcome to Dark Chocolate Week on my blog! I LOVE dark chocolate so much I am dedicating a week to it. I am sharing this fabulous recipe today, another one tomorrow then a fun dark chocolate round-up this Thursday. It’s going to be great! And if by chance you don’t love dark chocolate no worries! Pretty much any dark chocolate recipe can easily be substituted with regular chocolate by switching the cocoa powder or chocolate chips etc.
I am seriously so excited to share this recipe with you! Aren’t these cookies so beautiful? Have you ever tried Dark M&M’s before? I got some for Christmas and we were reaching the end of the bag so before they were all gone I decided it was time to make this recipe I had been thinking about and creating in my head. It turned out so perfect!
These cookies are not only beautiful they are absolutely delicious! They are soft and chewy and perfect in every way! I found the most amazing cookie base from one of my favorite bloggers, Sally from Sally’s Baking Addiction. If you haven’t checked out her blog you are seriously missing out. She’s amazing and her recipes are tested to perfection. I used her base from her recipe for Inside Out Cookies but made a few changes in the ingredients and directions.
I used Hershey’s Special Dark Chocolate Cocoa Powder to make the cookies. I decided to use semi-sweet chocolate chips because I thought it’d be pretty to have a contrast in color from the dark cookies but you can use your favorite type of chocolate chips. Then I topped it with the Dark M&M’s.
As you see this recipe is very adaptable to your liking.
One more note about this recipe, the original recipe has you chill the dough for at least 2 hours and up to 36 but my shortcut is to roll the cookie dough into balls, place it on the cookie sheet then place the cookie sheet in the freezer for 10-15 minutes. I made half the dough each way and I actually preferred my way of chilling the dough quickly in the freezer but do as you please!
One Year Ago: Garlic Texas Toast
Two Years Ago: Buttermilk Syrup
Three Years Ago: Strawberry Cheesecake Cookies
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg, preferably room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup + 2 Tbsp. Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa Powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 1 ¼ cups chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet)
- Dark Chocolate M&M’s for topping the cookies
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the butter and sugars. Beat together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Blend in the egg and vanilla, scrape down the bowl if needed.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients in the mixer on low speed just until incorporated. Mix in the milk on the lowest speed and fold in the chocolate chips. Preheat the oven to 350˚ F.
- Roll about 2 tablespoons of dough into balls and place on the baking sheets. The cookies don’t spread much so if you like them less thick, press down slightly. Top cookies with M&M’s. Place cookie sheet in freezer for 10-15 minutes. (Alternately you can chill the dough for at least 2 hours or up to 36.)
- Bake 10-11 minutes. Immediately top with more M&M’s if needed. Let cool on the baking sheets for about 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction (Inside Out Chocolate Chip Cookies)