Welcome to Krazy for Kale week on my blog! I will be sharing a couple recipes using Kale this week then on Thursday I will post a Kale Round-Up you won’t want to miss! I never thought I’d be a big kale fan. Believe it or not the first time I had kale was only a month ago after Trisha guest posted on my blog and shared her recipe for Kale Chips I bought some Kale right away from the store to try her recipe. I was hooked!
I get so excited over good recipes and I can not even begin to tell you how good this Kale Salad is! If you think you don’t like Kale or have never tried it before this salad will make you a kale lover! This salad is out of this world good. I never thought I’d be crazy over a salad but I certainly am over this one!
To help the kale become more tender and flavorful you massage the kale with kosher or sea salt. It’s amazing how it transforms in only a couple of minutes. Then you add sunflower seeds, craisins, chopped apples and diced red onion. Then it’s tossed together with a light oil and vinegar mixture and topped with feta. I love feta! All the different ingredients compliment each other so well making for a fantastic salad.
This salad would be perfect to serve this Thanksgiving.
Give this salad a try. It just might change your life!
One Year Ago: Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream Pie with a Gingersnap Crust
Two Years Ago: Walnut-Chocolate Chip Cookies
Three Years Ago: Boneless Baked Buffalo Bites
- 1 bunch kale
- ¾ teaspoon coarse kosher salt or sea salt
- ¼ cup finely diced red onion
- ½ cup craisins
- ¾ cup small-diced apple
- ⅓ cup sunflower seeds (lightly toasted)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ⅓ cup crumbled Feta cheese
- Wash the kale and pat it dry. Remove the fibrous kale stems. Stack the kale leaves two or three at a time, roll them up, and slice the leaves into thin ribbons.
- Place the kale ribbons in a large mixing bowl. Add the salt and massage it into the kale with your hands for 3-4 minutes. The kale will turn a darker green and the texture will begin to soften.
- Add in the red onions, craisins, apples, and sunflower seeds. In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar and sugar. Pour over the salad and toss. Sprinkle feta cheese over the top and serve.
- (To prepare in advance: store the prepared kale separately from the other ingredients, in the refrigerator. Then right before serving toss together.)
Very slightly adapted from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe
You might also like: