This is one of our favorite dinner casseroles, it’s quick to put together and tastes so good! I’ve changed this recipe from the original to make it healthier. I added more broccoli, less cheese and butter and I think it tastes better this way! This dish is creamy and crunchy. What more could you want from a casserole? Plus it has a good amount of broccoli in it. Even my husband who isn’t crazy about broccoli loved this dish!
This casserole comes together pretty quickly. First you layer on cooked chicken and lightly steamed broccoli. Then you top it with a cheesy sauce. Which includes no cans! It’s really quite easy to make and is so good. Then you top that with a little cheese and finally the gem of the dish, the crumb topping made with Ritz crackers. (Or a similar cracker.)
Bake it up and you are ready for a yummy dinner! If you want to add even more to it you could add a layer of rice on the bottom.
- 2-3 heads of fresh broccoli, cut into florets, steamed for 2 minutes
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tube Ritz crackers (38 crackers) (or a similar brand)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- ⅓ cup chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- In greased 13x9 pan, layer the broccoli and chicken, then set aside.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. When it's melted, add in the flour and stir until smooth. Over medium heat, whisk continuously for a few minutes. Gradually add the milk and chicken broth. Season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook over medium heat and stir continuously until the mixture thickens. Whisk in the 1 cup of grated cheese. Pour over the chicken and broccoli. Top with the ½ cup of cheese
- Melt the 3 tablespoons of butter, then add the poppy seeds and stir. Crush the Ritz crackers in a large zip-lock bag. Don't crush to finely, leave some bigger pieces of cracker. Add crumbs to the melted butter and stir. Sprinkle crumb topping over the casserole.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
Adapted from Just Get Off Your Butt and Bake