This is one of my new favorite soup recipes! It’s delicious and comforting as soup should be. There is so much flavor. Every time I make this I can’t believe how good it is! I love that this recipe doesn’t use heavy cream. To make it thick and creamy, 30 minutes before it’s ready you made a roux on the stove-top.
This soup is packed full of vegetables, tomatoes, celery, onions and carrots. And let’s not forget the star of the soup, the Parmesan Cheese. It takes this soups flavor up a notch. It’s amazing! We love to eat this with grilled cheese sandwiches cut up into sticks. It’s a family favorite. Enjoy!
- 2 (14 oz.) cans diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 1 cup finely diced carrots
- 1 cup finely diced onions
- 1 tsp. oregano (or 1 Tbsp. fresh oregano)
- 1 Tbsp. basil (or ¼ cup fresh basil)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ½ bay leaf
- ½ cup flour
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup butter
- 2 cups half and half, warm (milk works too)
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground pepper
- Add the tomatoes, celery, carrots, onions, oregano, basil, chicken broth and bay leaf to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours, until vegetables are soft.
- About 30 minutes before serving prepare a roux. Melt butter over low heat in a skillet and add flour. Stir constantly with a whisk for 5-7 minutes. Slowly stir in 1 cup hot soup. Add another 3 cups of soup and stir until smooth.
- Add all back into the slow cooker. Stir and add the Parmesan cheese, warmed half-and-half, salt and pepper. Add additional basil and oregano if needed.
- Cover and cook an additional 30 minutes or until ready to serve.
Slightly adapted from Today’s Mama