I love making cupcakes but sometimes I just don’t have the time to make the cake from scratch so I use a box mix. But I never use the canned frosting. I think it’s super sweet and it just doesn’t taste good. Plus it’s expensive and it’s super easy to make your own frosting and it tastes 10 x’s better. I hope you will give this a try!
I just used my favorite frosting recipe, Vanilla Bean Buttercream Frosting and changed it around a bit and it turned out perfect! I made these for my family birthday party this past Sunday and it was a huge hit! They were gone in seconds.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-4 Tbsp. heavy cream or milk
- In a *standing mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the butter at medium-high speed until smooth, about 20 seconds. Add the cocoa powder and beat mixture until combined.
- Add powdered sugar and salt; beat at medium-low speed until most of the sugar is moistened, about 1 minute. Scrape down the bowl and beat at medium speed until mixture is fully incorporated, about 30 seconds; scrape bowl, add vanilla and heavy cream or milk, and beat at medium speed until incorporated, about 20 seconds, then increase speed to medium-high and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes, scraping down bowl once or twice.
- Use to frost cupcakes or cakes. (24 cupcakes)