I found this recipe through Pinterest a couple months ago for a way to use up leftover Halloween candy. We didn’t have very much Halloween candy this year so I didn’t make it then. I really wanted to try it though so instead of a post Halloween treat I turned it into a tasty Christmas treat.
I loved how quick it was to make these. The bottom layer is a layer of shortbread. It comes together quickly and after you bake it you melt chocolate chips on top then spread it across the top. Then you sprinkle on the candy and press it. Next, you let you let it cool, cut it and serve!
I can’t believe how good this is. The shortbread layer is a chewy, buttery flaky crust. It’s so good! Then to top that off you have a layer of chocolate with loads of crunchy chocolate candy on top. This is the ultimate dessert! We shared this with some of our neighbors and heard nothing but good comments about it. You know a dessert is good when someone brings it up again.
I love how versatile this recipe is. You add whatever mix of candy bars you want on top. I love m&m’s because of the fun colors. I love how throughout the year the stores have different holiday colored m&m’s such as Valentines day and Halloween. And I also added Kit Kat. Any candy bar would work. I also think Twix would be really good.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 ¼ tsp. coarse salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 ½ cups assorted chocolate candies or roughly chopped candy bars
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter, brown sugar, and salt on medium-high until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. With mixer on low, add flour in three additions and beat until combined (dough will be crumbly). Line an 8-inch square baking dish with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Press dough evenly into baking dish. Bake until golden brown and firm, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Scatter chocolate chips on top of shortbread. Bake until soft, 1 minute. With the back of a spoon, spread chocolate evenly over shortbread. Scatter candies over top. Gently press in. Let cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Refrigerate briefly to set chocolate. Remove foil/shortbread from baking dish, then cut into 16 bars.
Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart