We love fajitas! It’s one of my favorite dinners to make for my kids and despite the fact there is onion and bell peppers in it, by kids will eat it all up because it’s that good! The seasoning is what makes it so good. The flavor is outstanding! Every time we have fajitas for dinner they ask why I don’t make it more often. lol
I’ve been a fan of fajitas for years! It’s one of the first dinner recipes I learned how to make. When I was in high school, all 7 of my older siblings had moved out so I was an only-child! (I’m the youngest of 8.) So it was just my parents and I. By then my mom was burned out from cooking dinner all those years so often I would make dinner. Chicken fajitas was one of my favorite dinners to make because it was so quick to make but so good! It wasn’t until recently though I stopped using the store-bought mix and started making my own. And I’m so glad I did! It tastes so good and is so easy to put together. I usually make the recipe x 4 and keep it stored in my spice cabinet.
Over the past few months I tried quite a few homemade fajita seasoning mix recipes and today I am sharing the best mix of seasonings for fajitas! It’s super easy and you most likely have these spices since they are basic ones. I like it way better than the store bought fajita mixes. It tastes more real and less processed to me. I definitively won’t be using a fajita mix again!
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional, adds heat)
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
- To make fajitas: In a small bowl mix together ¼ cup water and seasoning mix then add to skillet with already cooked meat and vegetables. Cook and stir 3 minutes or until heated through
- Fajita mix can be store in an air tight container or zip-lock bag until needed.