Baked Creamy Chicken Taquitos- A flavorful dinner that kids and adults love! Perfect for dinner or an appetizer.
Of all the things I’ve ever cooked for others these are in the top 5 of people’s favorites. I always get a lot of compliments for these. The best part is they are baked! Not fried. And they are so much better than a fried greasy taquito.
I first discovered these a few months ago when I wanted to make freezer snacks for my husband and I to grab whenever. I went to the grocery store for ideas of what to make and freeze. Taquitos was one of the things I wanted to make. Have you ever had the frozen taquitos they sell? It’s nothing like these, those are cheap and not so good for you. These are so tasty and so much better for you.
I love the crunchiness of the tortilla and the amazing flavor of the chicken mixture. It is so incredibly yummy! You can serve these as dinner or an appetizer. Also, I love making Creamy Lime Cilantro Dressing to dip these in. It’s quick to make and so yummy! (Note: I usually make it with sour cream instead of mayo.)
Also, another plus is you can make the filling ahead of time for a quick dinner or you can freeze them and then bake them up.
- 3 oz cream cheese
- ¼ cup green salsa
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- 2 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup grated pepper jack cheese (or plain jack cheese)
- small corn or flour tortillas
- kosher salt
- Heat oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly coat with cooking spray.
- Heat cream cheese in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds until it's soft and easy to stir. Add green salsa, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, onion powder and garlic powder. Stir to combine and then add cilantro and green onions. Add chicken and cheese and combine well.
- (You can prepare up to this step ahead of time. Just keep the mixture in the fridge.)
- If using corn tortillas place 6-8 at a time on a baking sheet and place in oven for a few minutes until soft. (Or microwave wrapped in a damp paper towel for 30 seconds.)
- Place 2-3 T of chicken mixture on the lower third of a tortilla, keeping it about ½ inch from the edges. Then roll it up as tight as you can.
- Place seam side down on the baking sheet. Lay all of the taquitos on the baking sheet and make sure they are not touching each other. Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray (or lightly brush with olive oil) and sprinkle some kosher salt on top.
- Place pan in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until crisp and the ends start to get golden brown.
- Make Ahead: To make dinnertime assembly a breeze, prepare filling up to 2 days ahead of time and store in the fridge in an airtight container.
- Freezer Instructions: Place unbaked taquitos in a single layer of a baking sheet and place in the freezer for 2 hours or until frozen enough to hold their shape. Pack in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. To bake, follow the same instructions, extending the baking time by 10 minutes.
Adapted from Our Best Bites